All opinions are those of Michael Haigh or the Guest Blogger featured.
They do not necessarily reflect the opinions of W.J. Bradley Mortgage Capital, LLC

The Difference between Homeowners and Landlord Insurance

For the average Homeowner, who is moving out of their home and wants to maintain ownership, at first blush there may not seem like a big difference in what kind of Property Insurance you need. But Homeowners Insurance is priced on, and includes coverage’s for, the owner of that residence. This can be quite different from the protections a Landlord will need when renting out the residence to others.

The assumptions, and in most cases requirements, of the insurance carrier is that the homeowner will exhibit a pride of ownership, and will maintain the property in the condition they would want to live in. While many tenants respect the properties they live in, not all do, and the very fact that they renting instead of being in a position to own means they will not have the means or motivation to maintain the property as well as the owner. But, before we can discuss the difference’s, let’s look at the various coverage’s involved.

Good coverage’s for Homeowners Insurance are:

Dwelling coverage:
Enough coverage to replace your home if it were to burn to the ground (local construction $ p.s.f. X sq. ft. of property).

Liability coverage:
Enough coverage to protect your assets at risk (Real Estate Equity, Investments & Income) from being liquidated, or attached, in a judgment against you if you were sued for monetary damages. But, it is much less expensive for the Homeowner as the chances of them inviting someone over who would sue them if they slipped and fell, are not very high.

Personal Property:
Enough coverage to replace your personal property (that which would fall out of the house if it we turned upside-down).
Loss of Use: enough coverage to rent a similar residence until your home was rebuilt (max time limit is 2 years)
Separate Structures: enough coverage to rebuild your detached garage, or work shed

Now let’s look at what a Landlord might need:

Dwelling Coverage:
again enough to replace the property, but in most Landlord properties the workmanship and quality of the fixtures are not as high as those found in personal residences. Thus the dwelling coverage could be adjuster to a lower cost per square foot.

Liability coverage:
This is the major difference with Homeowners because the Landlords exposure is so much greater. Tenants, in today’s litigious society, are more likely to go after the Landlord if they suffer a loss on the property, through no perceived fault of their own. And if they, or another stranger they invite on the property suffers an injury caused by the physical property (slip & fall), they also are likely to sue! For this reason, it is also a more expensive coverage then Homeowners Liability.
Personal Property; The Landlord, by the very fact that they are not living there, has a very limited need for this coverage. This is much less than a Homeowner would require.

Side note: it is important for the Tenant to carry Renters Insurance as it’s generally their Personal Property at risk, as well as they have a Liability exposure also. It is very inexpensive, and cross line discounts from their auto insurers can pay for most, if not all, of it!

Loss of Use:
For a Landlord this is called “Loss of Income”. If the property is damaged by a fire (for example) the Landlord needs this to pay the mortgage as the rent will not be being collected while the house is being rebuilt.

Separate Structures:
Again, a slightly higher risk for the Landlord, but generally the same coverage is needed as for the Homeowner.

Note: In the Homeowners and Landlord policies: the Personal Property, Loss of Use, and Separate Structure coverage’s can be simply a percentage of the Dwelling amount, and are not priced separately, but included in the Dwelling coverage premium. They are usually adequate, but if not, can and should be adjusted.

One would think that because the Dwelling coverage need not be as high for a Landlord as a Homeowner that the Landlord policy would be less expensive. But do not be surprised if the Landlord policy is as much, or even higher than a Homeowners policy would be, because the increased exposure and need for higher Liability limits.

Be Sociable, Share!

Related posts:

  1. 10 Reasons a Landlord should require their Tenants to have Renters Insurance!
  2. The Difference Between Private Mortgage Insurance And Homeowners Insurance
  3. Homeowners vs. Condo Insurance

About Corrin Trowbridge
Corrin & Virginia have been in the insurance industry for 7 years. They pride themselves on giving clients the information they need to make wise decisions in their financial affairs, protect assets, and strengthen their financial futures. They believe an informed buyer is an empowered buyer and seek to differentiate themselves by providing superior service, and want to be a resource for their clients/prospects to answer questions and give referrals that respect their interests and goals. Contact them at

Speak Your Mind

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!

  • About the Team

    The Michael Haigh Team specializes in providing a professional, efficient and educational loan experience. We strive to find you the best real estate loan to suit your needs without putting you at risk—even if it's not from us! Our site will provide you with a plethora of information that will help you to figure out the loan process, answer your question, calculate the estimated value of your home, and calculate your estimated closing cost. On top of this you should check out our blog where we have frequent updates from Michael and other contributors on a multitude of topics related to mortgages.

    Backed by W.J. Bradley and Michael Haigh's notable history in the mortgage industry, The Michael Haigh Team is able to provide loan decisions much faster than large banks. Every aspect of your loan will be handled quickly and correctly so you know that nothing is left to chance. We're here to make this process as easy as possible for all parties involved and pride ourselves on making it right for every client. Contact us today to learn what we can do for you!

  • Michael Haigh Team

    1860 El Camino Real
    Suite 250
    Burlingame, CA 94010

    Privacy Policy
  • Web Analytics